Become a Catalyst member

Join the conversation

We encourage our readers to leave comments and engage in dialogue about our stories. But before you do, please check out our "rules of the road."

Subscribe to catalyst-chicago.org by e-mail

catalyst-chicago.org feeds

Current Issue

Drugs in schools

Most drug violations in CPS involve an ounce or less of marijuana. Schools are quick to call police, yet rarely have the resources to offer education, counseling or other non-punitive help to students.

Catalyst Notebook

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 - 8:48am

In the News: U.S. government says UNO defrauded investors

By:

The Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday announced it had charged charter school operator UNO with defrauding investors in a $37.5 million bond offering for school construction work by failing to disclose conflicts of interest, according to the Sun-Times. Read the SEC complaint here.

READ MORE | (0) COMMENTS
Monday, June 2, 2014 - 7:55am

In the News: The new kindergarten focused on 3 Rs

By:
Tags: kindergarten

Kindergarten schedules are now dominated by reading, writing and arithmetic — and a slew of tests on reading, writing and arithmetic, writes The Washington Post's Valerie Strauss. Because there's so much pressure on teachers to get kids in kindergarten  academically oriented, some have stopped offering a snack because there just isn’t any time. Recess? That’s gone in some places, too. (The Washington Post)

READ MORE | (1) COMMENTS
Friday, May 30, 2014 - 7:48am

In the News: New Orleans now an all-charter district

By:

Nine years after Louisiana education officials swept most of New Orleans' chronically under-performing schools into a state-controlled district after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, the Recovery School District—which at one time operated nearly 35 schools—has converted fully to an all-charter school system. (Education Week)

READ MORE | (1) COMMENTS
Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 7:25am

In the News: Parents say principal applies 'iron fist'

By:
Tags: principals

Two dozen or so parents gathered outside Joseph Brennemann Elementary School Wednesday to say they want discipline in their Uptown school — just not the “iron fist” approach they say Principal Sarah Abedelal employs, the Sun-Times reports.

READ MORE | (3) COMMENTS
Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 4:33pm

Charters delay opening while new alternative schools forge ahead

By:

CPS is forging headfirst into the opening of new alternative schools, while a few of the charter schools that were supposed to open in September got more time to get ready.

READ MORE | (6) COMMENTS
Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 7:25am

In the News: Obama Prep to make room for neighborhood kids

By:

When Barack Obama College Prep opens in the fall of 2017, some 70 percent of the students, picked from around the city, will be admitted through a selective-enrollment process. The other 30 percent will be from what school officials call the neighborhood around the school. The exact area that will be considered the "neighborhood" for enrollment purposes is the great question, with many highly anticipating the answer. Chicago Public Schools officials haven't defined the area. (DNAinfo)

READ MORE | (0) COMMENTS
go here for more