Most drug violations in CPS involve an ounce or less of marijuana. Schools are quick to call police, yet rarely have the resources to offer education, counseling or other non-punitive help to students.
Join the conversation
We encourage our readers to leave comments and engage in dialogue about our stories. But before you do, please check out our "rules of the road."
Recent Notebook Entries
- Take 5: Looking back at LSCs, elected school board tussle, bullying lawsuit, Sharkey takes over CTU
- Comings and Goings: Slavin, WITS/Boundless Readers, Mazany
- Take 5: UNO's shaky finances, 36 kids in a class, school lunches, NYC preschool for the rich
- Preschool expansion via 'social impact' bonds
- Take 5: Charter slow down, striking teachers and public education in politics
Right Now On Notebook
LSCs at most schools only give approvals for internal account purchases over 4500; full functioning LSCs approve discretionary budgets, SIPs, and manage the principal contracts. The pickings for...
I think some LSC are controlled by principal, some are basically non existant, parents often don't participate...BUt the union need to conecentrate on this issue rather than getting involved in so...