Teacher turnover

CPS has never had a strong, districtwide program of teacher induction and mentoring to stem an attrition rate that is higher than the national average. Instead, efforts to retain teachers depend on smaller-scale programs and individual principals who make it a goal to empower—and keep—their teachers.

Bill to delay CPS school closings announcement goes to governor

SPRINGFIELD - The CPS request for an extension of its Saturday deadline to announce school closures easily made its way through the final legislative hurdle Thursday.

The Senate Executive Committee voted unanimously Thursday to concur with House amendments to SB 547, which will extend the CPS facility actions announcement deadline to March 31. The full Senate voted 51-0 on the question shortly after noon.

The bill now moves to the desk of Gov. Pat Quinn for his approval, which surely has been arranged. CPS has promised a five-year moratorium on closings in exchange for the delay.

There was no discussion in committee even though so many opponents had signed witness slips that there wasn’t enough time to read them all. The “attendance roll call” was used; that is, all 14 members of the committee who were in attendance were recorded as having voted “yes” without time having to be taken to call their names individually.

When the measure came up for consideration on the floor of the Senate, sponsor Sen. Iris Martinez merely noted that the bill, as amended, was identical to HB 1957, which the body had unanimously approved just the day before.

There was no discussion on the floor prior to the vote.

Anonymous wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

The brave souls assembled

The brave souls assembled there should be embarrassed at how they are doing the people's work.

Valerie F.Leonard wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I apologize for going "off

I apologize for going "off message" of this story. By now, I'm sure everyone reading this has heard that State Representative La Shawn K. Ford has been indicted for bank fraud that allegedly occurred before he was elected in 2006. I don't know the facts of this case, but I will say this here, openly, because State Rep. Ford has been one of the few legislators to address the issues relating to an elected school board.

Representative La Shawn K Ford, I want you to know that I appreciate the work you do on behalf of your constituents, and those of us who live beyond your borders. You have been a champion of democracy in education, offering to push legislation that will create a task force to study the most efficient governance structure and process for CPS. You offered to bring David Vitale, the Chairman of the Board of CPS, and Penny Pritzker, a member of the Chicago Board of Education to the community to hear our concerns and open the lines of communications between CPS and a community that has long been ignored. You voted "No" on the bill to extend time for CPS to disclose the list of schools to be closed to encourage them to develop a much more comprehensive process and to minimize disruption to our community. You have sponsored and passed legislation that has increased opportunities for African American and women contractors and employees. You have been a champion for those who need a second chance, in spite of a sometimes hostile environment that would choose to capitalize upon the plight of the incarcerated. You have sponsored countless events to foster relationships between the government sector (fed, state and local), small businesses and the financial sector. You have educated the masses on homeownership, affordable housing and foreclosure. You have been a teacher, father, a neighbor and friend to many. I WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO, AND ALL YOU WILL DO!

Valerie F.Leonard wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Let Representative La Shawn K. Ford Stay in the House!

Again, I apologize for going off message, but I think this is important for people in the education community to know. Representative Ford has filed a resolution in the House of Representatives asking his colleagues to allow him to remain in the House of Representatives and to continue his regular duties as the investigation into his personal finances proceeds. This investigation has nothing to do with his conduct as a state representative. Here is a link to the press release. http://www.scribd.com/doc/115033876/FORDpr-2012-11-30-House-Resolution-R... I say, let the law follow its course. In the meantime,he should be allowed to continue to represent his constituents. He is one of the few legislators who has given true voice to issues confronting marginalized people and communities. PLEASE, CALL YOUR STATE REP NOW to urge him/her to vote YES on this resolution. Here is a link to a contact list for all state reps. http://ilga.gov/reports/rptMemberList.asp?gaid=11&ChamberId=H

It Never Changes wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

If I'm OK Then You're OK...No Matter What

The moral relativism of the electorate is stunning. The representative is under indictment. Shouldn't everyone step back and wait until the case is settled? The idea that the investigation has nothing to do with his conduct as a state representative is laughable.

Valerie F. Leonard wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Call it moral relativism if

Call it moral relativism if you please. I based my comments on my experience with Representative Ford as a legislator. I also said that the investigation should take its course. This incident happened before he was elected, and I'm sure the FBI will do its job. I don't know the facts, and they will come out. If you know of some misconduct in which he engaged as a legislator, please share.

northside teacher wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

casino deal?

does this have any relation to casino deal????

Valerie F.Leonard wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

What a way to connect the

What a way to connect the dots! I hadn't thought of that!