Most drug violations in CPS involve an ounce or less of marijuana. Schools are quick to call police, yet rarely have the resources to offer education, counseling or other non-punitive help to students.
Join the conversation
We encourage our readers to leave comments and engage in dialogue about our stories. But before you do, please check out our "rules of the road."
Recent Notebook Entries
- Take 5: Charter admission transparency; new political coalition and career ed
- Comings and Goings: Price, King, Okezie-Phillips, new principals
- Take 5: Former CPS official's credentials in question, progressive politics, summer school
- $5.8 billion schools budget gets final stamp of approval
- Charter school funding changes budget landscape
Right Now On Notebook
Analysis finds sections of Carter application nearly identical to others' published writings - theday.com Mobile Edition
Ausl teachers and principals are CPS employees and are paid the same as all others except for the bonuses that Ausl gives to principals. He was Ausl staff, which is not a CPS employee directly. I'...
Subscribe to catalyst-chicago.org by e-mail
Protesters march against school closings
Protesters marched Monday to oppose CPS plans to shut down under-enrolled neighborhood schools. They also voiced criticism of charter schools and tax-increment financing districts, charging that they drain money from neighborhood schools.
After the march, supporters – including many teachers – rallied inside the Hyatt Regency Chicago, protesting Hyatt’s participation in a Hyde Park development that received tax-increment financing dollars.