Jobs and schools promise to be top issues in next year’s city elections. The mayor’s education agenda faces its toughest test in the African-American communities that gave him strong support in 2011.
Join the conversation
We encourage our readers to leave comments and engage in dialogue about our stories. But before you do, please check out our "rules of the road."
Recent Notebook Entries
- Parents push for testing 'opt-out' bill
- Take 5: New rating system OK'd, Oppenheimer awards end, Advance Illinois report
- Another change proposed to rating policy
- Take 5: Discipline reporting push, CPS schools in football semi-finals and Senate Bill 16
- Most teachers get high ratings in second year of new system
Right Now On Notebook
Some of the people in charge of the area offices cannot even conduct an inservice (I'm talking about something as low level as ordering the righ amount of lunches or handouts)-misinformation, lack...
I don't see how opting out of the test helps the students or the school. It's constructive feedback on how schools are doing in teaching, and students in learning, core subjects. Why would a...