Most drug violations in CPS involve an ounce or less of marijuana. Schools are quick to call police, yet rarely have the resources to offer education, counseling or other non-punitive help to students.
Right Now On Notebook
It's worth noting, though, that the management group in negotiations with the Quest teachers and the "separate" management group in contract with the other three CICS schools mentioned in the...
Concept has many school in different states. A child's mind is easily sway; when a school teaches alternative concepts, turkish language and Concept has many schools in different states. A child...
Subscribe to catalyst-chicago.org by e-mail
Duncan Pros and Cons
is a running list of some of the main strengths and weakness of Arne
Duncan from his seven years as head of the Chicago public schools:
Lasted seven years -- a lot longer than many predicted.
▪ State test scores have increased every year
has been in office, according to the board of education.
has by all accounts improved tremendously as a public speaker.
▪ Sends his daughter to a local public school.
▪ Strong supporter of community schools.
▪ Early critic of NCLB testing, tutoring, and transfer requirements
▪ Chicago participates in Roland Fryer "learn to earn" program. ▪ Tall,
skinny, and with a funny name -- just like his soon-to-be-boss! ▪ Has
more gray in his hair than it seems from this AP pic.
has never been a finalist for the Broad education prize for urban school reform.
’s NAEP scores lag many other big city districts, according to TUDA.
ailed to win substantial concessions from the Chicago Teachers Union in the last contract.
▪ Failed to expand the highly restrictive charter school cap for
▪ Renaissance 2010 disrupted the education of thousands of students in the early years esp.
’s reform efforts have failed to attract (or retain) white and middle-class families.
▪ Criticized by Blagojevich for only having offered free school bus rides in exchange for the Senate seat.
What am I missing?