The historic closing of 49 elementary schools in Chicago left many parents bitter and feeling left out as they try to get involved in new schools. Yet parent engagement is essential for school improvement, and principals are faced with the challenge of building trust at schools that scored poorly on surveys of parent involvement.
Right Now On Notebook
DOn't you think kids would be better off with a laptop that they use to practice typing too? ipads are not the best for typing?
If students cannot take care of a textbook, why would they take care of an iPAD?
It is not just having technology available but changing the mindset of the student and their parents. Just...
Subscribe to catalyst-chicago.org by e-mail
Duncan Pros and Cons
is a running list of some of the main strengths and weakness of Arne
Duncan from his seven years as head of the Chicago public schools:
Lasted seven years -- a lot longer than many predicted.
▪ State test scores have increased every year
has been in office, according to the board of education.
has by all accounts improved tremendously as a public speaker.
▪ Sends his daughter to a local public school.
▪ Strong supporter of community schools.
▪ Early critic of NCLB testing, tutoring, and transfer requirements
▪ Chicago participates in Roland Fryer "learn to earn" program. ▪ Tall,
skinny, and with a funny name -- just like his soon-to-be-boss! ▪ Has
more gray in his hair than it seems from this AP pic.
has never been a finalist for the Broad education prize for urban school reform.
’s NAEP scores lag many other big city districts, according to TUDA.
ailed to win substantial concessions from the Chicago Teachers Union in the last contract.
▪ Failed to expand the highly restrictive charter school cap for
▪ Renaissance 2010 disrupted the education of thousands of students in the early years esp.
’s reform efforts have failed to attract (or retain) white and middle-class families.
▪ Criticized by Blagojevich for only having offered free school bus rides in exchange for the Senate seat.
What am I missing?